Lessons and Workshops
For our class schedule,
About Square Dancing
Ready to try it?
- Square dancing is relatively easy, and its a lot of FUN! It's a lot like Simon Says done to music. You learn
how to perform short dance figures, or calls, cooperatively with others in your 'square'. This pretty much requires
walking, handshaking, and knowing your right from your left - simple stuff! In a dance, the square dance caller
will cue you to execute these in creative sequences as part of the dance.
- As you progress in level, you will master larger and larger call sets. The early levels are Basic, Mainstream,
and Plus. When a caller calls a dance, he or she will call at the level of the dancers on the floor.
- Our dances are called at the Plus level, so all dancers must be familiar with the Plus level call set. This is
the most usual level of square dance called in clubs locally and across the country, and so would be your goal in
joining the hobby. In our lessons, which build upon one another as new calls are taught and reviewed, we aim to
bring students to the Plus level in approximately 9 months. All learning happens while dancing, so the completion
of lessons shouldn't be thought of as a long chore. You are a dancer as soon as you 'square up' for the first lesson.
Plus Level? Try Workshop!
- Beginner and Intermediate Level lessons are held on Thursday nights from 7 - 8:30 pm.
- Classes are held at Titus Elementary in Warrington
unless a change is posted under the header above.
- During the summer classes, workshops and dances are usually held at
Grace Lutheran Church.
- Our beginners are instructed by professional caller Ginny Reaske and our intermediate dancers by Don O'Bott.
- Class dress is casual.
- Refreshments and water are provided.
- To register, or inquire further, please contact Don or Carolyn O'Bott at 215-343-3483.
- NEXT CLASS: Sept.22 - Dec. 15, 2016, for only $80 per person.
- View, print, and share our 2016 Fall Class Flyer
- Haven't danced in a while and need to refresh your skills? Can't seem to master that one pesky call? Just want to
come out and dance casually on Thursday nights? Ginny Reaske hosts Plus level review and dancing from 8:30 - 9:30 pm
on Thursday nights following the new dancer class.
- The Plus level review is ongoing - no start nor end dates. Come join the fun when you can!
- Class dress is casual.
- Participants are encouraged to support the new dancers by participating in the evening's class starting at 7 pm.
- The cost for the evening is $5.
(Click here to
return to top of page.)